New Job? Need a Work Permit?

Post Marianne Sabillo Marc Wright

A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California that allows a person under 18 years of age to hold a job. To obtain a work permit at JFK: 

  1. Obtain a work permit application by emailing Ms. M ( or Mr. Wright (, or by visiting the JFK Counseling center to pick up the form. 
  2. For your convenience, the application form can also be downloaded from our website at
  3. Fill out the personal information at the top of the application including your Social Security Number, have a parent or guardian sign the middle portion and get your employer to fill out the bottom portion (including their signature).
  4. Return the completed application to the Counseling office for processing. You can also email it back to Ms. M ( or Mr. Wright ( Your work permit will be issued within 24-hours via email or by picking it up from the Counseling office.
  5. Sign your work permit before submitting to your employer.
  6. Be mindful that if your work permit was issued during the school year, it will expire at the end of the school year. You must obtain a summer permit if you plan to work or continue to work in the summer.

Employers are not legally allowed to employ minors without a school-authorized work permit. Permits contain the maximum number of hours a minor may work in a day and week, the range of hours during the day that a minor may work, any limitations, and any additional restrictions imposed at the school’s discretion.

Permits to Employ and Work may be denied or revoked at any time by school officials. The principal or designees may revoke the permit if they determine that the school work or health of the minor is impaired by the employment. 

Students must meet all legal conditions for employment of a minor and have the following qualifications:

  • have a grade point average of at least 2.0 during the most recent quarter marking period.
  • be attending school regularly and on time at least 90% of the time.

The laws and regulations for child work permits included permitted hours and wages are outlined in the Child Labor Law Pamphlet published by  the California State Division of Labor Standards Enforcement