February 19, 2019
- This week’s BSU Black History Trivia is:
Hey, so I’m kind of a big deal but people just don’t talk that much about me. I had a following like none other. For a while, people followed my like I was Moses or something, yea… a “Black Moses”. I didn’t just talk about being economically free, we made it happen. Our community had restaurants and grocery stores, laundry mats, a hotel, and a newspaper that was read in the US and overseas, All Black Owned… we even had a cruise line. But ultimately, I was arrested and deported back to Jamaica. It is a sad tell, I know… you just make sure you keep flying our flag, okay? Who am I?
If you know, make sure you tell Billie Dee Scott, the BSU President
This trivia will be placed on Mr. Palmer’s door, in the counseling office. Good Luck!!
- Attention all JFK clubs! Tomorrow there will be an important informational meeting for club cookout #4 in the little theater at lunch! Be there for important fundraising information!
- All JFK students! This is the last week to purchase Winter Vibes dance tickets! We will be open at Casey’s Corner everyday this week! The dance is this Saturday from 7-11 at the Library Galleria downtown!
- There will be a Filipino Club meeting at lunch tomorrow (February 20) at B21. The club is open to anyone interested in learning the Filipino culture. Everyone is invited to attend the meeting. Mabuhay!
- Don’t forget: CSF (the California Scholarship Federation club) applications are live! It’s the biggest club on campus and looks great on college applications! Stop by Mr. Lam’s room to get one.
- Good news, Cougars! The SAYS poetry slam is coming back to Kennedy! Have 2 original pieces ready to perform and come to C304 at 3 pm on February 28th to compete. Questions? Stop by the ASSETs office in B8 to find out more about SAYS.
- Calling all runners, Link Crew, Student Government, and student volunteers. The JFK Unified Track and Field team for Special Olympics needs athletes that want to join us in a mile run, help set up, break down, and run skills. Event is May 3rd, JFK is hosting 4 schools for this event. Swing by D1 or D3 for more information.
- Join GOALS, Girls’ Outdoor Adventure in Leadership and Science, for a FREE summer science program to learn science hands-on while backpacking through Sequoia National Park. GOALS is an opportunity for people who have felt underrepresented in science or the outdoors and is open to current sophomores. Applications are due March 29th. Come learn more during a lunchtime information session on Tuesday, February 19th at lunch in room B29!
- Are you a current sophomore or junior interested in the study of life or a career in the medical field? If so, come to B-28 on Tuesday, February 12 and Tuesday, February 26 during lunch to learn more about taking Advanced Placement Biology next year! Current AP Bio students and Ms. Fugina will be there to answer any questions you may have about the course. Come see if AP Bio is right for you!
- JFK Track and Field Team practice begins Monday February 4th @ 3:45 PM in the stadium. We will practice every school day. If you wish to join or need more information about our Metro League Champion track team please come out to any practice. Winter sports athletes are welcome to join after their seasons end.
- Congratulations to Varsity boys basketball on making to playoffs and a great season.
- Don’t forget to come out and support your spring sports that officially start next week!